10/10: The Old Dark House

Yeah, I know, I'm behind again. Sumbitch. 


10/10: For my Monday movie that I'm writing about two days later because I've been effing swamped I watched The Old Dark House. Full disclosure and a window into the Binge: I didn't watch this movie nearly as closely as I should have. Oops. I had a million things to do and watching my movie wasn't high on the priority list. So keep in mind that this review is me going off of what I did see.

With this one I decided to throw it old school and go back to 1932. The cast in this movie is killer (I love me some Boris Karloff) and it's a fun, campy, classic horror movie. Several people get stranded in a rainstorm and take shelter in a scary house in the middle of nowhere. I can completely forgive the cliched plot of The Old Dark House as, ya know, it probably helped invent the cliche. 

Of course the house breaks into chaos at the hands of the horrifying residents of the house. The movie, despite it's camp, does manage some genuinely eerie atmosphere and looks beautiful in black/white. It's really a gift that The Old Dark House was discovered after years and holds up as a fun but eerie classic film.

8/10

Comments

Popular Posts