Yoga Hosers


So, guys, seriously... what happened to Kevin Smith? Like, I feel like that could be the entirety of my review for today's film, Yoga Hosers, the second of Smith's True North Trilogy. I grew up loving Kevin Smith. Jay and Silent Bob was my jam. After watching Tusk a few years ago I was beginning to have serious doubts about Kevin Smith, and this might be the final nail in the coffin.

Smith tries to make a campy creature feature about Canadian Nazi sausages (Bratzis. Yeah, I'm not kidding) tormenting two teenage yoga-ing millenials. In trying so hard to be campy though, Smith just creates a plethora of eyerolls; I audibly said "ugggggghhhhh" at least 5 times. I don't even know why I'm giving time to the plot as it's so asininely stupid and not in a good way. No amount of celebrity cameos (Johnny Depp, Stan Lee, Jason Mewes, etc) can save it.  

The big thing I want to know is: if you're Canadian, do you find the stupidity of the Canadian stereotypes in this film insulting? If you're a teenage girl, do you find the amount of stupid and out of touch millenial stereotypes insulting? You would think with his own teenage daughter (and Depp's) starring in the film you'd be able to get something closer to teenage accuracy that is still humorous. If you're the creator of Instagram, do you find Smith's pedestrian (and that's putting it nicely) knowledge of the social media platform insulting? If you're a Nazi sausage, do you find the portrayal of Nazi sausages insulting?

Ultimately though, as many reviewers have said, what Yoga Hosers really is is a hehe podcast idea stretched over too much movie and overly expensive home video so your kids can act in a "big girl" movie. This movie is the epitome of doing camp wrong: you don't try to do camp, you let it happen

And Kevin, the mole moving around Johnny Depp's face? It's not funny, and Young Frankenstein already did it better.

2/10


Comments

Popular Posts