The Purge


Today's horror flick was one that I'm pretty sure everyone and their mother has seen but me: The Purge. I think this movie is a perfect case of me being full hipster: everyone has seen this movie, so I'm not gonna see it. I resisted for awhile, but today I wanted to watch something I didn't have to think too hard about, so here we are.

Well, yeah, The Purge largely fits that bill. It's popcorn, but actually has something, albeit heavy-handily, to say. You know the plot already, but in case ya don't, America has gotten to the point where it's so enraged that the new government invents a day where all crime is legal. This single day reduces crime by channeling everyone's anger, rage, and homicidal tendencies into a zone where they can do the least (or at least most controlled) damage. Detractors say that the Purge allows for the poor to be unfairly targeted (huh, like most things in real life) as they can't afford the big fancy security systems that keep the rich safe. Where the rich can hide behind their wealth, the poor have nothing to hide behind. Again, that sounds eerily life like.

Sure, like I said before The Purge handles real major issues like income inequality and the rage that is currently fueling our country with quite the heavy hand but you know what? I was just happy to see them handling it at all. It also seems to be pretty on point about the rage that we see so on display daily in our country. Maybe the likelihood of a Purge being put into place isn't that farfetched after all... ok, yeah, it totally is.

Ultimately, the movie in presentation is pretty generic but has some thought behind the madness. It's entertaining and manages to be a touch thought provoking. It holds little surprise and I'll honestly probably never watch it again, but you know... at least it's not bad.

7.5/10 


Comments

Popular Posts