10/11: The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulhu


Yesterday's film (ok, fine, I watched it today, but you don't need to know that) was The Last Lovecraft: Relic of Cthulhu. Damn subtitles makin' movie titles too long and shizz. I've made no secret of my love of Lovecraft, this has his name in it, badabingbadaboom, here we are. This movie is laden with Lovecraftian lore, but doesn't take itself too seriously. I mean, it stars Lil' Kevin from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the guy Sweet Dee dates and can't decide if he's retarded (I hate using that word) or not:


The Last Lovecraft is a horror comedy, and thus takes a very comedic, albeit accurate, view on Lovecraft. It's funny for the most part, but lacks the edge, attitude, or wit of a horror comedy along the lines of, say, Tucker and Dale vs. Evil. It's got Lovecraft deep cuts, but that's about it. The plot of a relic that with raise Cthulhu and Lovecraft's last living relative isn't enough to hold it up. Ultimately it's a fairly forgettable and predictable horrordy. Yeah, I just made that up.  

This is a case of getting Lovecraft right, but not being original otherwise along the way. 

7 mehs/10


Comments

Popular Posts