Last Shift


Today's film was Last Shift, a Netflix find that I've pretty much overlooked and thought was just one of the crappy low budget films that attach themselves to Netflix's underbelly like so many remoras (ya know, the fish that attach to sharks. Full disclousure: I had to google the name too). Well, I'm happy to say: I was presently surprised. This movie is damn freaky. Last Shift puts a rookie police officer alone on the last shift of a police station that's been replaced. The rookie's father was killed in a rescue operation of a satanic cult and she begins to become tormented by the cult throughout the empty station. Or is it all in her head? DUN DUN DUN.


I know, that sounds pretty cliche, but Last Shift manages to inject enough originality to make this a pretty swell horror movie that actually got under my skin a bit; that's saying something. This movie has a bit of a haunted house, disparate scares feel, which is something that usually turns me off as it makes a movie feel like a disconnected mess. In the scheme of the film where you're constantly questioning the sanity of the main character, it actually feels horrifying. Is she losing it, or is the supernatural power of this dead cult tormenting her? 

Last Shift is full of tormenting moments that make your skin crawl, namely ones that you wouldn't expect. There's a scene where a demented demon woman thing is crawling after our police officer heroine and her bones are cracking as she spiders along the floor. I literally squirmed in my seat and yelled, "ewwwwwwww." Yeah, a horror movie made me "ewwwwwwwww" again. Props. Add into the mix the claustrophobic madness of an abandoned police station where nothing makes sense and you got yourself a party. A satanic cult-y, spider lady, peeing homeless man, poo-covered bathroom, pentagram-sliced-into-face, hairy letters in the ceiling-type party. You know, those. 

9/10


Comments

Popular Posts