Young Frankenstein


10/26: For yesterday's film I watched Mel Brooks' film Young Frankenstein. Firstly, I love this movie. Like Christmas Vacation is a Christmas tradition for me, so is Young Frankenstein. I grew up watching this movie and it's no less good now. Mel Brooks, in my opinion, is an absolutely genius master of parody, and Young Frankenstein, next to Spaceballs and Blazing Saddles, may be the best example of this. Parody works when it's evenly making fun of a genre and paying homage to it at the same time. Young Frankenstein does this perfectly. It has all the tropes of an old monster movie that made it great: gorgeous black and white, deep, dramatic lighting, and Frankenstein's monster. At the same time, it pokes fun at these tropes while honoring them. The cast, too, is amazing; Gene Wilder, Peter Boyle, Teri Garr, Cloris Leachman, Kenneth Mars, and above all... MARTY EFFING FELDMAN, who has me rolling nonstop. Young Frankenstein still, after having seen it probably a hundred times, still makes me laugh as hard as it did the first time I saw it. And for me, that's what ultimately makes it one of the most successful horror comedies of all time. 

10/10

Comments

Popular Posts