Prince of Darkness


My film for yesterday was John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. When looking back on all the films I've watched this month I noticed a glaring omission: John Carpenter. I saw a midnight showing of The Thing last weekend but decided not to count it as I had watched it last year. Prince of Darkness I hadn't heard of before, but I saw it was Netflix and figured I'd watch it. And after seeing it... why is this not a more popular horror movie? It uses the traditional tale of Satan or the Anti-Christ and gives it a totally weird, Carpenter twist. 

In the film the anti-god as it comes to be called exists as a green fluid under a church. A group of physicists and a priest attempt to stop the fluid from becoming fully realized as a being and releasing it's father, the true anti-god, from it's prison. It's twisted, and so very Carpenter. The way people become evil zombie-like creatures by having fluid projectiled via mouth into their mouth is disgusting and, frankly, awesome, as is the way mirrors are used (without giving anything away) at the end of the film. All of that, plus a cameo by Alice Cooper as a homeless demonic zombie creature, makes for a damn good spin on the Satan returning tale, and further reiterates why I love Carpenter so much.

9/10

Comments

Popular Posts