From Dusk Till Dawn


Movie from 2 days ago (!), From Dusk til Dawn.

10/17: Well. This movie is sufficiently bizarre, what I would really expect no less from a Tarantino/Rodriguez collaboration. Half abduction/heist-y movie and half vampire flick, the movie follows two brothers (Tarantino and Clooney) who are on a crime spree across Texas. They eventually come upon an ex-preacher and his two children, who they rope in to driving them across the Mexican border. They eventually come upon a lovely, middle of the desert drinking with the name Titty Twister, wherein the strippers and bikers reveal themselves in about the span of two seconds to be vampires. Yeah. As a friend of mine aptly put it, "you can really see where Tarantino's writing ended and Rodriguez's begins." Too true. The dialoge and lead-up to the sudden vampire discovery feel extremely Tarantino with their dialoge and the characterizations of Tarantino and Clooney, and vice versa for Rodriguez in the cheesy B-horror of the ending. 

What I really see this movie as is almost a treatment for Grindhouse, the B-movie throwback masterpiece (in my opinion) from Tarantino and Rodriguez. This movie pulls both of their tastes and attempts to squish them into one film--which I did enjoy, but I was left feeling that I wished both had enough space to breathe on their own and tell their own story. I wanted to see what would happen with Tarantino's character being a complete nutjob, for example, and was instead left with him being killed by, and subsequently becoming, a vampire. Which was hilarious and I loved it, but still-- what would happen if Tarantino and Rodriguez's films were complete? I guess that's what Grindhouse gives, a space for both to breathe. However, for the experiment this was as a stepping stone to Grindhouse I did really enjoy it and it's one of a kind in how it does unashamedly act as two different movies in one. 

8.5/10

Comments

Popular Posts