The Nightmare Before Christmas


Well, I've missed another day. That's two for this month. Bummer, but what can ya do. I got other shit to do yo! So here's my film for yesterday.

10/25: For tonight's flick I watched Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas. Ok, let's be honest. This is a damn good movie. When you separate it from the stupid culture that has grown around it (that emo-goth, Hot Topic culture that has adopted Jack Skellington as their lord and savior) and from the heap of similar, inferior films Burton has produced, this is a helluva quality film. The songs kick ass and are catchy as hell, the story is original, smart, and funny, the voices are perfect, and the animation is stellar. This movie I think really shows Burton's talent, which the man most certainly has (as evidenced in Edward Scissorhands as well), but is often hidden by the amount of carbon-copied stuff he constantly releases I remember loving this film as a kid and now that I'm "all grown up" it totally holds up. In fact, I think I pick up more now on the darker underbelly of an already dark movie; the Dr. Frankenstein-esque man who creates basically a fuck buddy who won't cooperate so instead makes a direct female copy of himself to have relations with; a skeleton going through a mid-life crisis who decides to highjack a fat man's holiday; a bipolar mayor who is a split image of your average, two-faced politician. Awesome stuff, if ya ask me. But above all, I think I respect/like this movie for the homage it has to the holiday's, namely Halloween. This is a world where Halloween rules in it's purest form, giddy and impassioned for the holiday of scares. 

On top of that, really the animation-- it's a damn feat, and definitely the type of animation I prefer over what computers produce. It has soul.

9/10 

Comments

Popular Posts