Ringu


Well, it's only the third day (well, fourth day in, I guess) and I'm already behind on my movie reviews. This ones a day late due to eating (incredible) tacos and drinking (incredible) beer last night, so was too tired after the movie to write up my review. So here it is, and hopefully today I'll catch up.

10/3 For today's film I watched Ringu, which for those of you who don't know is the original Japanese version of The Ring. I haven't seen The Ring (guess it's just one of those that slipped through the cracks) but I almost feel I have after seeing so many parodies and such. So going into Ringu I expected what I've heard so much about the American version but was really surprised at what I found. 

The film follows a woman who has watched a video tape that causes the person to die seven days after watching. Ringu is a quiet, almost minimalist horror film that sets out to create more of a "mood" around the impending death of the main character rather than infuse it with as many scares as possible. Interlaced with that is a deep look into Japanese culture and folklore the film gives something deeper. I still wish there was at least a couple more "scary" scenes throughout, as you really have to wait until the very end for the horror, but maybe that's not what the films about. Overall, though, a really well done, brooding film that gives a different look at horror than your usual film in this same vein.

And yes--for the most part this film still verifies my idiot theory. Just don't watch the damn video, ya idiot.  

8/10

Comments

Popular Posts