Dark Skies


Movie two! This one was for yesterday, Dark Skies.

10/2: I was feelin' an alien movie for today (anyone that knows me knows my obsession with aliens) so I went for Dark Skies. It was on Netflix, I had heard good things, so I went for it. Dark Skies follows a down-on-their-luck family that starts to be tormented by strange things happening around their house. 


Does that sound like a familiar storyline? Yeah, 'cause it is. Essentially Dark Skies is a haunted house skin stretched over an alien movie. It's complete with a creepy little kid coupled with creepy little kid drawings, weird happenings in the kitchen (seriously, what is it with horror and kitchens?), and an expert who must save the family (J.K. Simmons!). All these tropes actually do a pretty good job of setting up atmosphere and suspense and I genuinely got freaked at a couple parts. You really want to know why the 
are tormenting the family, but at around the hour and ten mark when there's twenty minutes left and still no answers you get pretty frustrated as a viewer. Sadly the ending isn't enough to justify the build and ultimately, while not being bad, just isn't satisfying. The final scene of the movie though is pretty hooky and made me want more, but just because they didn't answer anything. I want answers, damn it!

At the end of the day Dark Skies is just a cookie cutter horror movie with a little bit of 
flair. It's not bad, I've pretty much seen it before a thousand times before in a thousand other horror movies, and it's ultimately just forgettable. 

6.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts