Hell Fest

 


For horror flick numero dos, I watched the neo-slasher Hell Fest. Taking the oddly in-vogue horror trope of haunted house attractions being dens that real killers prowl, Hell Fest follows a group of young, horny, eff-the-system college students. They attend the haunted house/rave extravaganza Hell Fest and find themselves hunted by a killer who is masquerading as one of the scare workers. Chaos ensues, people die in gruesome ways, and run screaming through the streets and assorted attractions. And color me surprised: I kinda dug it. 

When I watch a slasher, I want a few simple things: gruesome, over-the-top-to-the-point-of-being-silly kills, a killer with some attitude, attractive and unbelievably stupid teenagers doing inane things while screaming incessentaly and at least a light dose of surprise sprinked here and there. Hell Fest delivers that and somehow manages to feel just fresh enough in a horror subgenre that is absurdly saturated. I found myself thoroughly entertained and what more can you really ask for? Don't watch for anything groundbreaking, but when you're in the market for a solid slasher do you really need it?

So thanks Hell Fest, for managing to give me a good time despite my cold, dead, horror-binging heart, ground into dust after too many years and too many horror movies. Good on ya. 

8/10



Comments

Popular Posts