10/8: The Curse of La Llorona



Fallen crazy behind, but catching up. I'll throw a couple double features in later his month to stick to my 31. I know you're worried. Anyway, here's my movie from a couple days ago. 

10/8

Today's movie was a Conjuring universe movie, the folktale-inspired The Curse of La Llorona. I know a lot of people give The Conjuring franchise crap, and I agree that it's sometimes well deserved, but overall I think it's simply a franchise that's accessible and luckily often scary. Sure, it's all jump scares, but it's well made jump scares. It's horror that even non-horror fans can enjoy and there's something to be said for that, even if it's not particularly heady fare. Unfortunately, where The Conjuring is the best version of this idea, The Curse of La Llorona is a pretty glaring example of how it can go wrong. 

There's one word to explain this movie: generic. Other than the skin of a cultural folktale being refreshing and actually pretty interesting, there's nothing we haven't seen before. Nothing pushes the envelope, nothing particularly surprises, and ultimately there's just a general feeling of meh. The formula in this series is hitting it's most tired here and it shows. The Curse of La Llorona is a pretty forgettable experience and thus this is probably a pretty forgettable review. 

Damn you, La Llorona. 

5/10



Comments

Popular Posts