10/3: Malevolent

 


Well, it only took 2 days and I'm already running behind. This should surprise no one. So here's my movie from yesterday:

10/3

Malevolent is one of those horror movies that I've seen for the past few years floating around Netflix but somehow, after 31 movies, it doesn't get watched. It always seemed like a, "eh, if I ever am running super low on movies this one is on reserve." Well I tapped into that reserve last night and boy was I not missing anything. 

Guys, friends, countrymen... Malevolent is not good. It starts with a decent enough concept: a group of fake ghost hunters go around "helping" households that have a haunting, cure them of said haunting, and then clean up when they collect from the hoodwinked parties. But whatever decent concept is here can't save the movie. The whole thing feels like a bunch of ideas thrown in a pot and kinda sorta hoping they stick somewhere together.

Yeah, they don't.

There's the brother who owes a debt to a mobster storyline (in only one scene?), a haunting but also maybe not, a crazy lady who (spoiler) likes sewing mouths together, a mother with supernatural abilities that have maybe(?) been passed down to the daughter, etc etc. The question marks are really at the core here: what is this movie? After an hour and twenty eight minutes hell if I know. With some refinement maybe we got something, but as it is, it's pretty poopy guys.

Yes, I just ended this review with the word "poopy." It's my blog, git outta here.

4/10


Comments

Popular Posts