The Fourth Kind


Alright, so before I get to the review, I've kinda been falling behind-- life and stuff. I did watch part of a film yesterday but wasn't able to finish so I will be posting the review of that film as a double feature with another movie in the next few days. The next few days may be a bit irregular as well (I'm traveling) so I'm sure the reviews will be fucked again :) Now the review for today...

The Fourth Kind. I saw this one a few years ago and absolutely loved it; it kind of fulfilled my dream since childhood to be abducted. I mean who wouldn't, right? This time around though, with knowing that the movie is basically full of crap, some of the impact was lessened with the knowledge that the "real" footage is totally faked. This time around I was able to spot the holes and it didn't kill it by far, but it definitely morphed what I took away from it.

When I first saw the movie I think I kind of knew it was fake but wanted so badly for it to be real I looked over all the evidence for it being fake. After all, the movie really sells it--most of the "real" footage isn't too far over the top to be believed, is generally well acted, and pretty damn freaky. After doing the research after the fact though and finding out that everything was false, the "seems" so to speak start to show. Every scene of genuine alien contact the video camera footage goes haywire, the main dramatic story of the doctors life and her children is cliched, etc. What I came away with from all that was a film that is freaky, raises some interesting questions about life beyond ourselves, and does a pretty great job selling itself--but with all that it lost the realistic factor that stuck with me after the first viewing.

A fun, interesting, and thought provoking (especially on first viewing) film, but not without it's flaws.

7.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts