28 Days Later


When I was picking my horror film for the day I realized I hadn't watched a zombie movie all month. I said, a what up wit dat? So I decided to watch yet another glaring hole in my horror watching, Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later.

Note to all people making a zombie movie out there: this is how to make a zombie movie. The problem with zombie movies, along with a lot of horror (and really every genre), is over saturation to the point where most films come off as pretty much the same. This movie breathes such a refreshing breathe into the zombie genre, beginning with the zombies themselves. You know the usual zombie: slow, shambling, etc. 28 Days totally turns it on it's head. The zombies are fast as hell, quick, and unpredictable, which kind of fixes the problem I've always had with zombies; unless they're in a giant pack they're so slow, how hard could they possibly be to kill?

The first 10 minutes after the title appears are stellar as well, almost so much so the movie, no matter how good it is, can't reach that high point again. Cillian Murphy's character Jim is shown just wondering around an empty world, completely lost at what's happened to the world he knew.

The movie takes a well done, realistic look at a zombie apocalypse and looks deeply at human nature in the face of such a situation as well. 

9/10

Comments

Popular Posts