10/25: Double Feature! The Changeling and The Conjuring



"Hey, Sean, why are you starting your review with a picture of a broken record?" Well, inquisitive fellow, it's to prepare you for what I'm about to say: I'm still behind. Yeah, shocker. So this 'un is gonna be another quickie (c'mon, get your head outta the gutter random reader). I promise we'll return to my usual unnecessarily loquacious programming soon. 

Damn it, I just did.

10/25: Tonight was a haunted house double feature because it's close to Halloween and I just need that in my life, ya dig? These are both movies I've watched in binges past and are both in the discussion for my favorite haunting films. That just so happens to be my favorite horror subgenre, so they're part of vaunted company. Without further ado:

The Changeling

This movie was part of the first binge ever (OG review here) and went on to be on my list of top 10 horror movies I did last year at number 4. What a champ. The film was just as good as it was the last time I watched it 7 years ago (which is sad it's taken 7 years for a rewatch); not only is it an incredible haunting film but it laid down so many of the tropes that exist in haunting films that came in it's stead. Haunting films often sacrifice depth for scares but The Changeling somehow manages to excel at both, weaving a horrifying, ghostly conspiracy tale. It's truly criminal that this film is rarely in the same conversation with masterwork horror films like The Exorcist as it's right up there with the greats. It's stellar, a true poster child for the perfect haunted house film.

Still 10/10



The Conjuring

Continuing the haunted house theme for the night was The Conjuring, another film I reviewed a few years back. Honestly my review from a few years ago pretty much remains the same; The Conjuring is a great take on the worst of modern horror movies. There's jump scares galore, but somehow The Conjuring sells them by putting a surprising spin on common tropes. Now, I know. The Conjuring spun out a bunch of films in its shared universe of middling quality. But like most series, The Conjuring is pretty damn good, even if it's pretty basic. Maybe that's a good way to explain The Conjuring: a well done take on a basic, make-you-jump horror movie. 

Also still 9/10

 

Comments

Popular Posts