10/21: Fright Night


Behind again. Movie from yesterday:

10/21

For today's horror movie we're turning to cult classics with the 1985 vampire movie Fright Night. Horror movie fan and resident horny teen Charlie (in case you forget his name, they say it about 700 times, so you're covered. If I had a nickel...) spots an oddly suave vampire moving in next door. No one, of course, believes him, and eventually Charlie must employ the reluctant help of vampire hunter/actor Peter Vincent to take him down...before he steals his girlfriend! Them vampires, always stealing yo girl. 

This film is THE poster child for 80s camp and cheese and I can absolutely see how it got it's cult status. Complete with overacting (especially the character of Evil Ed, who made me want to drill into my skull every time he spoke), sex, and monsters galore, the movie is the 80s at their best. I was surprised at the quality of the practical effects for the film, especially with how campy it is otherwise. The monsters, vampire and werewolf (?) alike, are actually horrifying in their reality. Fright Night showcases the strength of practical special effects, but granted, I'm biased. But I mean, just look at this: 

See? Awesome.

Fright Night has this whole sexuality thing going for it too, making the vampire a sort of bisexual magnet. It seems that everyone, save for Charlie, is drawn in my him, unable to resist his wiley ways. There's probably something deeper being said about the nature and fluidity of sexuality here, but honestly I'm 20 horror films in here. Ain't got no time for analyzin'. So... he's an androgynous vampire who likes dudes and chicks. That's as deep as I got. 

Fright Night is a fun, if dated, vampire flick. If you take it for what it is it's an enjoyable film with some pretty sweet effects thrown in. If that doesn't get ya I guess the bisexual vampires will.

7.5/10


Comments

Popular Posts