Colin


Just a quick note before I do the review, I will not be posting a review tomorrow as I am going to Colorado Springs to see my musical idol, Devin Townsend. Way excited to needless to say. I will resume on Saturday and will be making what is I'm sure to be lengthy run down of the show that no one will read or care about haha. But hey, for me right? Anyway, on to today's review.

For tonight's horror film I watched Marc Price's "Colin." The premise of the film revolves around a young man who has been bitten by a zombie and how he deals with his new existence. With that in mind I had very high hopes and expectations for the film but I was ultimately very disappointed. Such a great premise of telling the story of a zombie film from the zombie's own perspective is rich, original, and has great potential to give some humanity (oxymoron, perhaps) to the zombies who are usually so faceless. While Price attempts to do this with this movie he ultimately fails. Scenes drag on for far, far longer than needed, the few characters in the film are not defined in the least (save maybe Colin to an extent), and for such an original idea nothing feels original. The film was also made on a very small budget and while I understand the limitations this gives it does not excuse putting zero effort into lighting or camera movement. The film uses mostly natural light which in theory is interesting but when I can't see a thing on screen due to it either being blown out or too dark that's a major problem. The shaky handheld cam could potentially give this film a nice aesthetic as well but instead makes many scenes indecipherable as action just becomes shapeless blobs. All these factors result in, as one reviewer I read put it, the film feeling like a potentially great short film that was blown up way to big into a feature length by a director who couldn't handle it. I'm sad I didn't like this film much at all, and it makes me hope someone can take this very interesting idea and give it the treatment it deserves in the future.
4/10  

Comments

Popular Posts