Black Sabbath


Well, after a day off, I'm back. I am currently swamped with midterms and the like, so yesterday I couldn't find the time to watch a film. Perhaps later in the month I'll double up but seeing as how crazy things are right now I wouldn't be surprised if I missed more days; this Friday I most certainly will be as I will be in Colorado Springs watching one Mr. Devin Townsend. But I'll shut my face, the review.

For tonight's film I watched Mario Bava's "Black Sabbath." After seeing the title, I of course had to watch seeing as how it's the inspiration for the name of one of the most influential bands of all time. This film comes in three short stories, one involving a nurse who must dress a dead woman and ends up stealing the deceased's ring. In doing so she invokes the wrath of the dead. The next follows a woman who is receiving threatening, disturbing phone calls from her dead boyfriend. The last has a man who stumbles upon a family with a serious vampire problem. Bava's influence on Argento is shown greatly here, with bright colors and terrifying, over the top scenes; the cinematography is gorgeous. The mood throughout the film is very well done and quite engaging as well. Boris Karloff's narration and cameo also give the film something special as he is at his best here. A powerful yet typical giallo film that I thoroughly enjoyed as good, classic horror.
8.5/10 


Comments

Popular Posts