October Horror Film Binge-- Afterthoughts

Well, here we are, November 2nd, and I've been off the horror flick watching job for a day now, so I thought I'd give some afterthoughts of the whole experience/attempt to define what this blog is going to be now that the direction its had for its first month of creation is pretty much lost.  So: I only missed three days (I think, maybe it was four) the entire month, which is way, way better than I thought I'd do. With Midterms, leaving town for numerous reasons, etc, it's honestly kind of remarkable (and stupid) that I watched so many films. That aside, though, watching a horror film a day all of October was a pretty interesting experience. Firstly, it was a humongous chore. But I got myself into it so I stuck with it, even when it meant watching a movie at eleven at night after having a twelve hour day of classes and work. The major thing that being so busy did to my watching though that I hated was it prevented me from watching as much foreign or silent horror as I would have liked to. Oftentimes a paper had to be written and I had no choice but to have the movie playing while I worked (not ideal in the least) and only movies with dialogue I could understand would work.

All of that being said, I was actually rather surprised how I didn't watch anywhere near as many of the horror films that I really wanted to watch as I thought I would. Don't get me wrong, I got to see many, but lots that were initially in my head or suggested to me by others I didn't end up getting to. I guess it could be attributed to the fact that I was pretty enslaved to Netflix (mainly for convenience purposes) or the fact that 31 days isn't actually as much as you think. There's always next year though, right? I did get to see a lot of gems I had not seen before however, such as "The Thing" and "Tucker and Dale vs. Evil." 

It's interesting also what I found in taking the approach of giving a numerical review to the films I viewed. I just decided to do this on a whim, and I think it was a good and a bad thing. With a concise number I could give some sort of marker as to how much I enjoyed the film but on the other hand I found myself often a few days later rethinking the number I had given it. Take "The Thing," which I gave a 9; easily it should have been a 10. An incredible film that I gave nowhere near enough credit when I reviewed it. We'll have to see how that shapes out next year.

All in all, it was a great experience. I love film, and I find with being busy I hardly find enough time to watch enough. It was nice, as hard as it was sometimes, to sit and watch something that I (usually) had never seen before. There's so much cinema out there and to devote a month to it really gives a great look into understanding and appreciating it. With horror cinema there is an even greater volume out there and far more gems then one would think-- you just have to look harder.

And lastly, my grammar and spellcheck. Dear lord almighty, I apologize. Will be looking much closer into that as posts go along, atrocious.

So now with all that out of the way, what will this blog become now? Well, as I explained in my first post, and in my title/description, I want this to be a blog to deal with cinema both watching and making on my end, but also about subjects I haven't spoken about yet, photography, beer, and perhaps a bit of music sprinkled here and there. So, basically, just making you suffer through all my interests. I've been thinking, though, how to make this more specific, and different from the million other blogs out there dealing with these exact same subjects. Here it is, then, a brief outline of what I've been thinking about doing for this blog:

Beer Reviews. With the craft beer market booming here In Albuquerque, NM, and living in close proximity to many breweries, there's plenty to review. I thought to myself that I'd like to combine this with my interest in cinema as well, so I think I will be accompanying brew reviews with a suggestion of a good film that would go with that beer. It will be like how people outline good food pairings with brews; mine will be cinematic pairings.

Film Reviews. These will be probably be less then the brew reviews I think, but I will provide sort of a vice versa here. A good brew to go with the movie, should you so choose to watch it. 

Random Smatterings: My own photography or other photogrpahers, reviews of concerts or new albums perhaps occassionally, other thoughts about whatever pops in the noggin.

So there you go. I want this blog to be a read that is not always the same, but not so all over the place as to be where there is no subject. I hope you enjoy reading, and I promise posts will rarely if ever be as long as this one. 

Now for a bit of a blogging break... See you in a few weeks or so.

Comments

Popular Posts